High School Scholarships
Two scholarships are available to high school seniors whose parents or legal guardians are customers of Alexandria Light and Power.
- LeRoy Meyer Memorial Scholarship. Follow the guidelines below to apply for this scholarship.
- Missouri River Energy Services (MRES) Scholarship. Ten $1,000 Scholarships are awarded each spring, which are renewable for three years if criteria is met. MRES is one of our power suppliers. More information is available on MRES's website.
LeRoy Meyer Memorial $1,000 Scholarship Guidelines
Leroy Meyer served as an ALP board member for over 35 years. LeRoy passed away in November of 2006. To honor LeRoy, ALP named it's annual scholarship after him. This scholarship is available to high school seniors whose parents are ALP customers and who plan on attending a post-secondary educational institution.
- To give something back to the community.
- To increase awareness of public power.
To apply, you will need to write an essay based on the criteria outlined below. ALP will award the LeRoy Meyer Memorial Scholarship of $1,000 to the essay contest winner at the spring honors night ceremony.
ALP will enter the winning essay winner in the Tom Bovitz Memorial Scholarship Program sponsored by the Minnesota Municipal Utilities Association (MMUA). The MMUA fund is split in to four scholarships: $2,000, $1,500; $1,000 and $500.
- Participants are to write an essay interpreting one or more aspects of the theme, "Municipal Utilities: Good for All of Us". Judges will particularly look for the relevance of the theme and how it applies to Alexandria Light and Power. We recommend that you research our website to learn about ALP and what services we provide to our customers. The MMUA site is www.mmua.org. Additional resources are available at your high school guidance office, our office at 316 Fillmore Street in Alexandria or you may call us at (320) 763-6501 for more information.
- High school seniors whose parents or legal guardian are customers of ALP are eligible to apply. Immediate family members of utility personnel are not eligible.
- Essay length is to be from 500 to 1,000 words, typed and double-spaced.
- All essays should include a cover page with the writer's name and address.
- Essays need to be submitted to ALP, 316 Fillmore Street, Alexandria, MN 56308 by March 15 , 2013.
Entrants should read and follow the above guidelines closely. Decisions by the judges and disqualifications are made according to the guidelines and are final.
Past LeRoy Meyer Scholarship Essay Winners
2012: Molly Minnerath
2011: Catherine Lovrien
2010: Marit Aaseng
2009: Eric Graf (1st Place in MMUA Contest)
2008: John Schmidt (3rd Place in MMUA Contest)
2007: Ryan Weber
2006: Joey Fleming (1st Place in MMUA contest)
2005: Amber Goraczkowski
2004: Emily Brand
2003: Teresa Desautels (1st Place in MMUA contest)
2002: Cherie Smith (1st Place in MMUA contest)
2001: Eugene Michtchenko
2000: Tyanna Engebretson
1999: Sonja Ausen
1998: Angela Thoennes
1997: Britta Petersen (1st Place in MMUA contest)